- The knowledgeagenda; why?
Knowledgeagenda Automated Driving, an initiative of the Dutch project group on self driving vehicles (ZRA) of the Ministerie van Infrastructuur en Milieu, Rijkswaterstaat en the RDW, to provide an online overview of available and required knowledge in the field of automated driving or self driving vehicles.
- What does the Dutch government and why?
Innovation and transport are two important issues in the Netherlands. Self driving vehicles may have important benefits for the society:
- Less congestion. Cars and trucks will communicate with each other. In this way, breaking and accelerating can be coordinated. Self driving cars that communicate with each other are able to respond faster to breaking vehicles than human drivers. Moreover, the process of accelerating can be performed more smoothly for communicating vehicles. This ultimately results in less congestion.
- Less accidents. 90% of the traffic accidents are caused by human errors. It can therefore be expected that fewer accidents will occur when the self driving car is implemented.
- Lower fuel consumption. Self-driving vehicles often achieve more kilometres to the litre. Platooning , which allows lorries to follow one another more closely, reduces the effect of air resistance. This can lead to a 5%-15% reduction in fuel consumption, with a comparable reduction in CO2 emissions.
- More info at this site.
- Who is responsible? This question is pops up a lot of times, more information about this topic can be found at the legal domain.
- What is the truckplatooning challenge? In the beginning of April several platooning truck will enter the Netherlands from different origins in different countries. The challenge tries the enhance the implementation of truck platooning. More info can be found here.
- Which pilot projects and tests are performed? An overview.
Do you have another question? Ask us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABBREVIATIONS EXPLAINED USED IN DOCUMENTS ON THIS SITE:
|ACC||automated cruise control|
|ADAS||advanced driver assistance systems|
|AI Type I||Purely reactive AI|
|AI Type II||Limited memory AI|
|AI Type III||Theory of mind AI|
|AI Type IV||Self-aware AI|
|ANI||Narrow Artificial Intelligence|
|ANSI||American National Standards Institute|
|APS||assisted parking systems|
|ASCII||American standard code for information interchange|
|ASP||Application service provider|
|AVB||audio video bridging|
|AVDEX||autonomous vehicle data exchange|
|AVMS||automated vehicle monitoring systems|
|B2B||business to business|
|CACC||cooperative adaptive cruise control|
|CAM||Cooperative Awereness Message|
|CAN||controller network area|
|CEN||European Committee for Standardisation|
|C-ITS||cooperative intelligent transport systems|
|CPU||Central Processing Unit|
|DTM||Dynamic traffic management|
|ECU||Electronic control unit|
|FCD||floating car data|
|FRAME||FRamework Architecture Made for Europe|
|FTS||Flexible transport service|
|GDF||geographic data file|
|GPS||Global Positioning System (US GNSS system)|
|HAD||highly automated vehicle|
|HERE||cloud based mapping asset to support connected ADAS and HAD use cases|
|HMI||human machine interface/interaction|
|I2F||infrastructure to field|
|I2V||infrastructure to vehicle|
|IEEE||Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers|
|ISO||International standards organisation|
|ITS||Intelligent transport system|
|KPI||key performance indicator|
|LDM||local dynamic map|
|LIDar||Light Detection And Ranging (radar system on car)|
|LKA||lane keeping assistant|
|LoS||Level of Service|
|MAAS||Mobility as a service|
|NDW||Nationale Databank Wegverkeersgegevens|
|NEN||Nederlands Normalisatie instituut|
|OBD||on board diagnostics|
|OBE||on board equipment|
|OEM||original equipment manufacturer|
|OSI||open systems interconnection|
|OTS||object transaction service|
|P&R||park and ride|
|PDE||portable data collection equipment|
|PKI||Public key infrastructure|
|POI||Point of interest|
|PRT||Personal Rapid Transit|
|PSF||Physical Storage Format|
|PSV||public service vehicle|
|QoS||quality of Service|
|RDS||radio data system|
|RFID||radio frequency indentification|
|SLA||service level agreement|
|SPaT||Signal Phase and timing|
|TCC||traffic control centre|
|Tier 1||direct suppliers to company|
|Tier 2||key suppliers of supplier|
|TSN||time sensitive networking|
|UTC||urban traffic control|
|V2I||vehicle to infrastructure|
|V2V||vehicle to vehicle|
|VERA||Video Enforcement for Road Authorities|
|VMS||variable message sign|
|VRU||vulnerable road user|
|WAVE||wireless access vehicle environment|
|WEpod||AV van without steering wheel|